Thursday, September 20, 2018

The birds are where?

One of the many areas of magic is Dove magic.
The use of animals in magic is ancient, and before I get emails and PMs about this, the animals in my magic act in my care are excellently treated and cared for by our local veterinarian and also taken care of by my daughter who is an agriculture student focusing on animal care.
Now that we are past that, I started with 4 doves from a local breeder in our big backyard aviary and now through an act of mother nature we have 10. The young chicks were all fed from the palm f my hand from early on and they have become very comfortable with me. I enjoy spending my evenings talking to them and caring for them. Nothing out of the ordinary for a dove magician. The routine is pretty regular, every morning before I leave for work I go out the the aviary to say good morning and feed the birds. I get there and the food tray is usually empty or close to empty and I put in one cup of seed and they all fly up to the tray for a good breakfast. I pick up the second generation one at a tie and let them eat some seed from my hand and this is part of their training and our bonding. I also have 2 parakeets I use in the act and they get a similar routine every morning.
 Well one day a few weeks ago the morning routine was a bit different. It seems I left the large 25 lbs seed bag open when I left for work and didn't get to go back in the evening. So I approached the aviary the next morning and didn't see any doves! They were all gone!

But then as I got inside, I did hear some cooing....I followed the sound and yes they all, and I mean all 10 of them were crowded into the feed bag and were climbing all over each other and eating.
I approached the bag and opened the top and yes there they were. I took the out one by one and put them on their perches and filled the food tray......go figure they weren't hungry anymore.

I love working with animals!
Be Well
Keep 'em clean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steampunk Show Case Manheim, PA

What a great Steampunk Convention!. While performing at another event I learned about this one. Tucked away on the second floor of the Spoo...