Thursday, September 27, 2018

Busking New Hampshire

On a recent trip up the East coast we ended up staying in Portsmouth New Hampshire. Usually when we travel I spend a little time on the inter webs to find out what the local busking laws are. My family is usually very tolerant and allows me time to work the street. SO a quick Google search revealed:

Sidewalk Performer Guidelines

WELCOME

The City of Portsmouth welcomes performance artists who seek to share their talents and skills with residents of, and visitors to, the City of Portsmouth. In order to make your experience in Portsmouth a positive one, the City has provided recommendations and guidance regarding sidewalk and other performance opportunities.

WOW that's great. One of the biggest issues about Busking is the ability to perform and solicit money for your performance and not get asked to move or even worse hauled in by the local police. But Portsmouth NO WORRIES.
 The first day in town while walking around, shopping and looking for places to eat, I scoped out the territory and found my pitch.  The next day was show time. After lunch the family went walking and I went to perform. Great Pitch......lots of people and good crowds and nice hats. I even managed to impress an audience of teenagers!  Usually teenagers strike fear in my heart......they just seem to know it all and are experts in everything.....but the final production in the cups and balls did!
No big money from them but great reactions and for me that's just as good.
Another note here is that I was debuting my new Orange Color scheme to my Steampunk costume with y new flat top hat and all. I strongly believe that as a busker you need to have a good costume and unique look. One of the many things I learned from "Cellini The Royal Touch by E.M McFalls" which is one of my bibles for busking. I highly recommend it to all performers.

I always remind myself that I busk for the love of performance and the thrill of the street as my stage. After all I have a great day job. Always do the research when traveling, you never know when a show is in order.
Be Well and Keep 'em clean


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steampunk Show Case Manheim, PA

What a great Steampunk Convention!. While performing at another event I learned about this one. Tucked away on the second floor of the Spoo...