Monday, November 18, 2019

Steampunk Show Case Manheim, PA

What a great Steampunk Convention!. While performing at another event I learned about this one.
Tucked away on the second floor of the Spooky Nook Sports Complex, the vendors set up and the meeting rooms were ready for the panels.
I left Brooklyn Friday night with my camper trailer in tow. In the past I've stayed in hotels the night before a show away from home but this time I thought it would be nice to just stay in the camper and save on the hotel and have a little more freedom.
I parked at the closest rest stop to the venue and bunked down for the night.
Saturday morning it was off to Spooky Nook for the Con!
One of these weekend events is A LOT of work and I must compliment Allen Wong and his staff for their effort.
I arrive and changed into my Steampunk garb and grabbed my table and headed into the venue.
The vendors were all on site setting up their wares and one of the hardest things at one of these is to not buy too much stuff I don't need.....kind of sounds like a magic or clown convention!
I walked around and introduced myself to all the vendors and discussed the dynamics about my gathering a crowd and then recommending them to shop shop shop at the vendors.
Part of this time is also spent  looking for the "best" spot to set up my table based on what appears to be the traffic flow of the guests and layout of the room.
I selected my spot......
Just at the end of the vendor aisle at the passage to the panel meeting rooms.
Set up and ready to go I continued to walk around and speak with people and vendors.

I noticed across from me was a table with books on it and the author was behind the table. Now if you are a Steampunk fan then you know this name, Leanna Renee Hieber , she writes novels in the Steampunk genre and she is very good, great characters and great stories. I decided to buy 2 paperbacks and she autographed them for me! I wish I could have been around for her panel discussion about writing these types of novels, but I'm sure I can catch her at a future event. 
Then it was time to perform. I did my street act numerous times during the day for all sizes of 
crowds, and happily all the shows went very well. 

Besides the panel discussions, there were a few fun events scheduled throughout the day.
I made sure to take plenty of breaks to sit in on panels that interested me and they were both fun and informative, not to mention that I made a bunch of new acquaintances of the Steampunk crowd.
By the end of the day I was done, and packed it all up and back out to my camper to change and head home. One of the best things that happened was a compliment I received from one of the vendors.
He motioned to me and called me over to speak with me. He said, "I just wanted to tell you that I've done a lot of these events and seen a lot of magicians doing what you do and by far you have the best technique and mannerisms I've seen, I really enjoyed it...."  Honestly this was completely unexpected and unsolicited, and I actually blushed! That made my weekend, My hats weren't that great but that small compliment made me feel great! 
I look forward to the next Steampunk event I'm scheduled for in April 2020, or anything else that come up  in the meantime.
Until the next post......Keep 'em clean and Be Well
Bruce


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steampunk Show Case Manheim, PA

What a great Steampunk Convention!. While performing at another event I learned about this one. Tucked away on the second floor of the Spoo...